Gizmo provides a comfortable, relaxed atmosphere where you you can bring your musical ideas to life. For nearly 30 years, we've been turning clients into friends, many of whom return regularly to work on new projects.
Studio owner Gantt Kushner is not only an accomplished engineer and producer, he's an amazing guitarist. Skilled in virtually all styles, his knowledge and experience can help you perfect your guitar sounds. And if you happen to need a guitar track or two, there is no one better!
Over the years, we've become friends with many of the finest musicians and vocalists in the Washington, D.C. area. If you happen to need session players or singers, we can help you find the perfect people for your project at reasonable rates.
Gizmo uses state-of-the-art equipment to record and mix your music. Here's what we're currently using to capture your sounds:
- Steinberg Cubase 10 / Cubase 9.5 Pro: Cubase Pro is our DAW of choice for its rich, analog-like sound quality, fast and versatile editing capabilities and incredible virtual instruments and music production possibilities.
- AVID Protools: Protools is an industry standard. While we prefer to record and mix with Cubase, we realize that many projects begin and end in Protools. Protools works great with the Orion-32 and RME HDSPe, with pristine sound quality and latency free tracking. Clients who are used to Protools will feel right at home.
- Antelope Audio's Orion-32 converter/interface: State-of-the-art analog-to-digital conversion
- RME's HDSPe MADI interface: Providing latency free tracking and overdubbing
- Universal Audio UAD-2: Universal Audio’s Powered Plugins have set a new standard for digital emulations of some of the world’s most legendary vintage analog processors, such as the Teletronix LA-2a compressor, Pultec equalizers, Fairchild compressors, EMT and Lexicon reverbs, and many more. Some of the finest recording engineers in the world swear by the UAD-2’s incredible sound.
- Waves Plugins: Waves makes some of the world’s most respected plugins. Used by audio professionals all over the world, Waves has great equalizers, compressors, choruses, flangers and delays.
- Additional Plugins by Slate and many others
- Vintage DAW: Ensoniq PARIS - up to 48 channels with Universal Audio UAD-1 card and effects for transferring old projects into the future!
Analog Outboard Gear
- Focusrite ISA828 8-channel Mic Preamp/DI
- True Systems Precision 8 Mic Pre
- Demeter VTMP-2 Tube Mic Preamp
- Focusrite ISAOne Mic Pre
- Chameleon Labs 7602 (Neve 1083 clone)
- UREI LA-4 (2)
- Vintage dbx 160 (1)
- dbx 160x (2)
- Aphex 651 (2)
- Lexicon PCM-91 Reverb
- Roland SRV-3030
- Mackie 1402 (for additional mic inputs)
- AKG 414 (2)
- AKG 451 (2)
- AKG C1000
- AKG D12e
- Audio Technica 4050 (2)
- Audix D6
- Austrian Audio OC818 (2)
- Crown CM-200 (4)
- Crown CM-300 (2)
- Crown PZM
- EV RE-20 (2)
- RCA 77DX
- Sennheiser 421 MK II (2)
- Sennheiser 421 Vintage (3)
- Shure SM57 (2)
- Shure Beta 57
- Neumann KM-84 (2)
- Neumann TLM-102 (not ours, but they've been here for 5 years)
- Baldwin 7' Concert Grand Piano
- Yamaha Motif 6
- 1964 Ludwig Drumset with Zildjian Cymbals
- Fuchs ODS 50 modded Fender Bassman amplifier
- 1974 Fender Deluxe Reverb with Pete Cage blackface mods
- Quilter Micropro 200 Mach 2 combo
- Roland VGA-7 Digital Modeling Amp
- 1963 Gibson Skylark w/ JBL Speaker
- Many cool guitar effect pedals, including Tanabe Zenkudo Overdrive pedal, Fulltone ODS (V1.7 for those who care about such things), Timmy OD, original Vox Wah Wah, original MXR Stereo Chorus (the amazing Yellow Box!), more pedals than I can remember!
- Alesis ADAT XT (2)
- Otari DAT
- Tascam 122 MK II Cassette